translate

Saturday, January 12, 2013

nyc holiday post #6: new year's day and more fun

Dear fairies,

So, the highlight of New Year's Day was going to Harry Potter: The Exhibition. This is located in Discovery Times Square. It was an enchanting experience. Before you even see the exhibition, you get to take a picture in Gryffindor or Ravenclaw scarves in front of a green screen for later purchase and there a mini sorting ceremony. Then you are instantly transported into the Wizarding World complete with falling snow in the entrance.

The exhibition is comprised of props, costumes, set pieces, and models from the Harry Potter films along with a few interactive bits like getting to sit in the giant armchair from Hagrid's hut. Personally, I loved looking at the costumes and some of the props the most. I studied each costume as much as I could for my own inspiration.

As for the props, it is amazing what detail goes into them. Looking at just the Daily Prophet selections, you see that each article is written just as if it were a real newspaper. It truly was a work of magic to bring the world of Harry Potter to life. If you are as devoted a Harry Potter fan as I am, then this is something you simply cannot miss!


What I Wore
Pink Tulle Bow: made by me
Eiffel Tower Shirt: American Eagle
Petticoat Skirt: American Apparel
Glasses: Hello Kitty
Scrunchie: made by me
Button: vintage 80s
Tights: Forever 21
Legwarmers: Offbrand
Shoes: Asics

The next day began with the Broadway lottery for the Tony award-winning play, Peter and the Starcatcher. This was, of course, very exciting for me, because not only do I appreciate great theatre, I absolutely love Peter Pan. We did not win the lottery, but there are "lottery loser" tickets, which are only $40 (I suggest you have another person wait by the ticket window during the lottery to get these tickets before they are gone if you lose).  

Peter and the Starcatcher is based on the novel, Peter and the Starcatchers, which is a "love note" prequel to Peter Pan. It's a rather new novel that I, at one point, contemplated reading. Though the novel is meant to be as serious as its predecessor, the play is a sort of parody of the story with witty comedy. Although there are inconsistencies with the actual Peter Pan continuity, I was able to forgive because the play is so utterly charming. Sadly, it closes January 20th on Broadway, and I would suggest seeing it if you possibly can! Fly away to Neverland as a boy journeys to find himself as Peter Pan.


What I Wore
Pink and Purple Tulle Bow: made by me
Jacket: Thrifted
Skirt: J.Crew
Tights: Betsey Johnson
Legwarmers: Offbrand
Shoes: Asics

Also, while looking for a good and inexpensive place to eat for lunch, Siri suggested a Japanese curry chain called Go! Go! Curry. This restaurant is actually originated from Japan, but the only two locations in the US are in New York City, possibly due to the restaurants obsession with the New York Yankees. 

It's a wonderful place to go for both good taste and prices. The menu gives you a choice of different types of meat along with the amount of rice you would like in your dish, starting from $7 for a small amount of rice. You can also choose from a selection of toppings for extra charge. I chose the medium size (single), but I would recommend, depending on hunger levels, ordering the small (walk) just to save that 50 cents XD 

The curry is comprised of rice topped with yummy Japanese style curry, which is then topped with your meat of choice, which is topped with a slightly spicy red sauce. On the side there is shredded cabbage. Delicious and inexpensive meal at less than $10 per person! I'd consider going here a couple of times if you plan on staying long in NYC. You will thank me for the recommendation! (Another thing to point out is that for $5 you can get the curry without any meat, but the curry still contains pork!)


So, I should have my next post up sometime within the week! I've got two more shops to share with you that you should check out as well as a couple of outfit posts~ 

~Sparkling Ga Eul

Faith, Trust and Fairy Kei Dust

No comments:

Post a Comment